Rice Dumpling (Bak Chang)

Tuesday, June 3, 2008






As the fifth day of the fifth lunar month is approaching, my craving for Rice Dumpling (Bak Chang) is getting stronger. Since nowadays I am in the cooking mood, I decided to try my hands on making Rice Dumpling myself. I started by getting all the ingredients needed, prepared some of the ingredients the night before I cooked the glutinous rice and the filling for the dumplings today. I struggled a lot while in the process of wrapping the dumplings. The wrapping process is not as easy as shown in the diagrams in the cookbook. Hubby helps me a lot in the process of wrapping the dumplings. He is basically are better and faster in wrapping the dumplings. So, thanks alot Hubby, without you, I'll need to use more time in it.


Ingredients

A) Rice
1 kg glutinous rice, soaked overnight and drained
250g peanuts, soaked overnight
5 tbsp cooking oil

Seasoning 1
1 1/2 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp five spice powder
dash of MSG (optional)
B) Filling
500g pork belly, cut into small pieces
150g dried mushroom, soaked and cut
100g dried shrimps, soaked to soften
100g bird eye peas, soaked overnight
100g dried chestnuts, soaked overnight, cleaned
6 shallots, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
6 shallots, chopped
4 tbsp oil

Seasoning 2
2 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tsp five spice powder
2 tsp salt
dash of pepper powder
dash of MSG (optional)

C) Wraps
bamboo leaves, boiled till soft
hemp string, boiled till soft

Methods

  1. To prepare rice: Heat oil, fry glutinous rice and peanuts, add seasoning (1), stir fry for 5 minutes and dish out.
  2. To prepare filling: Heat oil, fry chopped shallots, garlic and dried shrimps till fragrant. Add in belly pork pieces and seasoning (2), fry till dry.
  3. To make dumpling: Overlap 2 pieces of bamboo leaves, place 2 tbsp rice in center, spoon over pork filling, mushroom, chestnuts, bird eye peas and cover with 2 tbsp rice. Wrap and secure with hemp string.
  4. Boil in boiling water over high heat for 1 hour, reduce heat and continue to boil for 1 1/4 hour.

Comments: I didnt put in MSG for the dumplings. Therefore, I felt it still lack of "Ommph" in it. Will put some MSG for the next round of rice dumpling making.

1 comments:

Henry Chiah said...

Where is my dumpling ... dear ...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP