Yam Cake (Wu Tau Koh)

Thursday, May 22, 2008





Yam Cake or better known as Wu Tau Koh in Cantonese was a popular savoury cake for the Chinese community. My Grandma (Ah Ma) used to steamed this delicacies for me and my sister when we were staying in her house during weekend and school holidays. Since she left us, nobody can make the same taste of the Yam Cake she make. Today, I have decided to make Yam Cake myself using Lily's Wai Sek Hong recipe. Taking a bite of this Yam Cake that I made certainly do bring back fond memories of my Ah Ma though her Wu Tau Koh is still the best I ever tried, mine Yam Cake is nothing compare to yours. This post is to pay a tribute to you, Ah Ma. I'll always keep you close in my heart. I miss you Ah Ma!


Ingredients

A) 250g yam, diced and coat with 1 tsp 5 spice powder
1 cup water


B) Mix together and sieve:
125g rice flour
20g tapioca flour
1 cup water
1/4 tsp potassium carbonate & sodium bi-carbonate solution(optional)
150 g yam, sliced thin, steam then mashed


Seasoning
1 tbsp chicken stock granules
1 tsp soya sauce1 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
Dash of pepper


Garnishing
100 dried prawns, soaked and chopped coarsely - use the food processor
4 shallots, sliced and mix with 1 tsp oil, microwave on high until crispy
2 stalks spring onions, chopped
2 red chillies, chopped


Method


  1. Heat 4 tbsp oil and saute dried prawns till fragrant. Remove 3/4 and set aside for garnishing.
  2. Add 2 tbsp oil to the remaining oil in the wok, add (A) and stir fry well. Mix in water and bring to a boil.
  3. Add in (B) and seasoning and cook till batter is fairly thick.
  4. Pour thick batter into a well-greased 22cm round tray.
  5. Steam till kuih is set and cooked through. Spread the garnishing on top and press lightly. Leave aside to cool.
  6. Serve yam cake with chilli sauce.

Comments: Yam Cake is best serve with sweet sauce or chilli sauce. I had mine with the famous Kampung Koh Chilli Sauce. Yummy!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Since when the PRINCESS know so well in cooking oooo???? But anyway congra your yam cake look nice.....when you will cook for me?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP